Community Update June 28, 2007Posted by EsotericKnitter in mod post, post guidelines.
We’ve been in destashing business for over 2 weeks now and it seems to be going well. The posts look great, and I’m happy to notice that many of the items have been selling. I have to say that it’s been hard for me personally because I’m trying to knit from my stash right now, but I’m forced to look at this blog everyday and be tempted!
I wanted to make sure you all knew that we going to start deleting posts older than 14 days tomorrow, so take a look at what you’ve got posted and if you want to re-post it, you’ll want to do that ASAP.
As expected, there are a few bumps in the road. Here are the two biggest problems we’ve encountered in the last two weeks:
1) People uploading their pictures to the WordPress server. Please don’t do this, upload them to a site like flickr or photobucket. If you need help and can’t find your answer in the WordPress/Flickr FAQ or just get frustrated, let us know, our email is destashmods AT googlegroups DOT com. We don’t mind if people ask us questions, and most likely more than one person is dealing with the issue too. If people let us know we can try to make an update here or in the FAQ.
2) People forgetting to include their blog address in their posts. Not much more to say about that, try to remember and if you forget a mod will remind you.
We have over 100 members and new people are joining everyday. Remember, you don’t have to be a member to buy, just to post items from your stash. Yesterday was our best day ever for hits-845! We’re getting lots of hits from Ravelry, some Yahoo! groups and personal blogs. I was hesitant to say this at first, because I wasn’t sure how it would work out, but please feel free to (politely and with permission if necessary) promote us on any craft groups you think might be interested in buying or selling on Destash.
I think most of you have noticed, but just in case you didn’t, one of our lovely mods, JD, created a great list of categories for you to choose from. The list is pretty comprehensive, but if you see something missing that you think is common enough to be on the list, let us know. We’ve decided to keep the categories to fiber content, weight, needles, magazines, and books for now. The “search” feature at the top of the page does a good job searching the blog, so if people are looking for specific brands or other things that aren’t in the categories, it’s pretty easy to do from the main page.
Also, I updated the Community/Post Guidelines to be a little more clear. That’s all the business I have for now. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
Amy and the rest of the Destash! mod squad.
Updated Post Guidelines and Categories June 18, 2007Posted by EsotericKnitter in post guidelines, update.
A few issues have come to our attention and I need to clarify a few things.
1) Please only post photos that you have permission to post, preferably ones you have taken yourself. Images on places like Interweave or Amazon are copyrighted and using copyrighted images without permission is against the terms of service.
2) We only have 50 mb of memory on our server here, so please don’t upload images or files here. There are plenty of free services you can use.
We are updating the post guidelines to include the following:
- Upload photos to your own account or a free account like flickr or photobucket. Photos on the destashforcash.wordpress.com server will be deleted.
- The photo should be your own photo of the specific item you are offering for sale, not a stock photo.
- No hotlinking!
If we see someone posting copyrighted images they will be warned and given 2 hrs to fix the violation, if it’s still not fixed, then we will put the post back on “draft” status so that you can edit it and republish.
Those of you who have images on the destashforcash server will have until tomorrow to fix your posts, but in the future we will delete any images uploaded to the destashforcash account.
Finally, general categories have been added and you can tag your posts with the appropriate label. We may add more categories in the future, but for now you have the choice of the following:
- spinning fiber